spybird travel

spybird travel

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Is ParisTourist-Friendly?

    An article published in the travel section of The New York Times about a month ago describes efforts of the French Tourist Board to make Paris a more welcoming, cordial city to international tourists. The thought-provoking article is here: http://nyti.ms/16I7cGq .

     True, Paris has a bad rep with many travelers, at least in America. We have all heard tourist tales about surly waiters in Left Bank cafes,  being treated rudely in stores or markets, and having our attempts at French received with sarcasm or worse. Also true, 30 million tourists a year can be a trying experience for locals and service workers alike. But why take it out on the hands that feed your dependent tourist industry?
Always lots of visitors to Notre Dame
    Is there a real problem here? If so, who or what is responsible? Is there a cultural disconnect?

    My own experience is like Mr. Sanger's in the article, the Atlanta native who has visited 100 times without experiencing any rudeness. I've never had a problem, and neither have travelers in my party, in the four times I've visited. Is that coincidence? Maybe. But I think that as tourists we can conduct ourselves in ways that smooth feathers and soothe service people around us. And this is a skill set worth implementing, to maximize the potential of a good experience. Some points are found in the Times article. Allow me to add my own:

     1. Do say please and thank you, of course. Don't shout; be patient and smile. In other words, act like a good guest. Let service people do their work around you without a lot of interruption. I'm happy to engage if they seem friendly or conversant; I'm happy to just keep things polite and simple if that seems the better way to go.

     2. I don't travel in groups any more. I think big groups in restaurants, hotels and tourist sites can be a nightmare for the staff, as well as for other guests. And groups in a celebratory mood, fueled by wine, well, I would just prefer not to be around them. They are stressors. Sorry; does this make me a downer?

     3. I ask permission before I touch things in stores.

     4. For this and many other reasons, I travel at off-peak times whenever possible. I recall one summer traveling in Florence, Italy in July, where the small historic city center can be packed with international tourists. It was hot, crowded and over-run. After a few days I wondered how the locals could tolerate the invasion, and saw civility stretched to the max.

     5. Try traveling off the well-worn tourist pathways. Always good advice.

     6.  The language thing can be tricky. I always speak my first greeting in the local language if I can. Then, I take my cue from the person I'm speaking with. If they answer in English, I'll go with that. No need to force my poor French on anyone.

     7. Give compliments freely. They are a great social lubricant.

     Well, back to the original question. Will Paris benefit from the Tourist Board's campaign and become a kinder and gentler tourist destination? It will interesting to see whether the number of visitors increase in the next few years. Personally, I think the world is shrinking as travel routes increase and infrastructure is built in new and developing areas, especially in Asia. Expanding tourist horizons may account for the drop-off in people visiting The City of Light.

      But "we'll always have Paris," as Bogie said in Casablanca. It is such a beautiful city with great sights, shops and incredible food. And I, for one, can't wait to return.

Have you had dessert at Angelina? Oh, my word!


 

2 comments:

  1. You pretty much get what you give, anywhere. We have had uniformly positive experiences traveling in France, including, and especially, Paris. Despite some embarrassing events trying to do something sophisticated like buying a magazine at the local 7-11, things have always gone well. Favorite pastimes: outdoor markets, bazaars and food shops; standing at the espresso bar (not sitting in the cafe); the small neighborhood art galleries; just about anything you'd do in your own neighborhood at home. Just don't take photos of the whore on the corner, or her pimp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. places to visit in paris Thank you for sharing.The article is really helpful

    ReplyDelete