spybird travel

spybird travel

Saturday, June 27, 2015

New York City

       I'm originally from Queens, so I guess that makes me a "native New Yorker." Once or twice a year I love visiting "the City" as New Yorkers call it. My method is to find a reasonable hotel in Manhattan for a few days (I suggest the Guest Quarters chain as a good value), take the Limoliner (www.limoliner.com) from Boston, see a show, visit one or two good restaurants and a museum, maybe do a little shopping, and return home.

     A few weeks ago I traveled down with tickets to see Book of Mormon (hilarious) and take in the exhibit of Deccan Indian crafts at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Met is spectacular and sprawling, and worth a half day visit. Its roof garden is lovely and offers a view of Central Park. The museum shop is also excellent.

     For my splurge meal I took Damon's advice and went to Cosme (http://www.cosmenyc.com). This restaurant, headed up by Chef Enrique Olvera, is inspired by modern Mexican cuisine, which is gaining world popularity. This is NOT Tex Mex, or anything like the burritos and tacos one finds everywhere. The menu is full of decidedly thoughtful, inventive and flavorful creations using fresh ingredients. For those who enjoy mezcal as much as I do, Cosme offers a wonderful and varied list including Vago and a new discovery, San Andreas Alipus.

    I must say the crispy octopus with hazelnut mole, pickled potatoes and watercress ($28) was superb and memorable:


I also ordered a mushroom and squash barbacoa for $26. (not pictured)  that was not worth the price by a long shot, the only downer in an otherwise great meal. Finally, for dessert, the corn meringue with sweet roasted corn filling was one of the best desserts I've enjoyed in recent memory:


     Cosme is highly recommended. A reservation is necessary.

      Nobu Fifty-seven is the first uptown location for Chef Nobu Matsuhisa's Japanese Dining Dynasty. I must say, I was a bit disappointed, and the reviews I just read on Yelp seem to confirm my worst fears: I came to Nobu ten years too late.

     The fluke was melt-in-the-mouth tasty and wonderful quality, but the preparation was simply a drop of oil and slice of chile. The short rib presentation that evening was in the form of two tiny "tacos" (that seemed like a Chang rip-off) and were just not remarkable. The servers seemed to hover, the portions small and the meal was expensive. I'll pass next time.

     By all means, visit New York and enjoy all it has to offer. It's one of the greatest cities on the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment